Adoption.NET Presents: Ask the Adoption Coach

adoptioncoach

Dear Reader:

Welcome to ASK THE ADOPTION COACH, a new resource at Adoption.NET where you, the reader, can ask your burning questions and receive encouragement, advice, and education.

I’m your adoption coach, Rachel Garlinghouse, and I’m a mother through adoption. My three children were all transracially and domestically adopted, and each child has an open adoption with his or her biological family.  My book Come Rain or Come Shine:  A White Parent’s Guide to Adopting and Parenting Black Children was published in March of 2013. I blog over at www.whitesugarbrownsugar.com, write articles for various publications and blogs (including Adoptive Families, MyBrownBaby.com, SlowMama.com, and many more), and speak to prospective adoptive parents about the joys and challenges in adopting. You may have seen my family in ESSENCE magazine (September 2012), on MSNBC’s Melissa Harris-Perry (August 2013), or heard about us on The Daily Drum National Radio Show (September 2012). I have the honor of facilitating a local adoptive mother support group of seventy-five women. My areas of expertise include open adoption, transracial adoption, ethical adoption, adoption education, and attachment-ish parenting.

The joys and challenges that prospective adoptive parents and adoptive parents face are numerous. Dealing with insensitive comments or intrusive questions? Are you just starting to consider choosing adoption? How do you select an agency?  What struggles are you facing while waiting for your match or referral?  What post-adoption issues are challenging your family? How do you deal with a racist relative? Considering adoptive breastfeeding? What is open adoption?

Please leave your questions either on Facebook or in the comments below, and I will answer them. I am so happy you are here, and I look forward to reading your burning questions.

Peace,

RACHEL